Intermediate ice climbing - Sunday - Champney Falls
- Annie Hines (coB coI coS), Ben Kessel (A coC S coI), David Migl (C I S), Venkata Damaraju (A coC coI)
- Trip level
- Trip date
- Sunday, January 13th, 2019
- Difficulty rating
- Have climbed ice before, can top rope belay
For those who have climbed ice before or have significant rock climbing experience, this is an intermediate trip to work on your ice technique. You should know how to top rope belay and have ice climbed (or at least used crampons) before. If you're not familiar with these things, the Intro Ice Climbing at Frankenstein trip on Saturday would be a better fit for you.
The pre-trip meeting will be held at 6:15 pm Thursday in the MITOC office, in order to give everyone space & time to fit boots & crampons. This is different from the usual time announced in lectures. Please make sure you can make this time.
We'll seek out the steeper lines at Champney Falls to work on endurance and technique.
We can talk about how to find the best tool and foot placements, do drills (one tool/no tool/downclimbing/mock leading), or go over multipitch skills (placing/removing screws, v-threads, rappeling).
Please make sure you have eye protection and two pairs of gloves. All other gear can be rented from MITOC.
- $20 - WS Ice trip fee (covers ice tool + boot rentals) (payable to MITOC)
- Gas for your driver (payable to driver)
- $ for breakfast/dinner if your car decides to stop before/after the trip
- Venmo preferred for payments to driver
- first-come, first-serve
- Maximum participants
- Signups opened at
- Jan. 9, 2019, noon
- Signups closed at
- Jan. 10, 2019, 11:59 p.m.
- Have you climbed ice before? How many days? Please provide dates/locations of a few trips.
- Can you top rope belay? Lead belay? What is your outdoor rock climbing experience (tr/lead, sport/trad, single/multipitch, where and when)?