Intro Ice Climbing at Frankenstein
- Ben Kessel (A coC S coI), David Johnson (CI), Venkata Damaraju (A coC coI)
- Trip level
- Trip date
- Saturday, January 12th, 2019
- Difficulty rating
We will be heading up to Frankenstein near Bartlett NH to learn the basics of ice climbing! This trip will focus on proper belay technique and how to use all of the sharp things attached to your feet and hands to get up the ice safely.
Prior ice climbing experience is not required. Prior top-rope belay experience is not required but is highly recommended.
We will depart from Boston on Sat morning and aim to be at the parking lot around 8am. We will climb until we are too tired or the sun goes down whichever comes first then drive home!
Ice climbing is super fun, in part because of all of the cool gear you get to wear!!! In addition to what you would take on a hike in the winter you will need some extra funs tuff. Most of the following gear can be rented from MITOC.
- Eye Protection *
- Two-Pairs of Gloves *
- Mountaineering Boots
- Technical Crampons
- Belay Device
* Denotes gear not available through MITOC that you must provide on your own.
- Trip Fee: $20 (This includes all gear items above NOT marked with an asterisk)
- Cash for your driver
- Cost of your meals and snacks
- first-come, first-serve
- Maximum participants
- Signups opened at
- Jan. 9, 2019, noon
- Signups closed at
- Jan. 10, 2019, 11:59 p.m.
- How proficient are you at top-rope belay? (N/A, Novice, Familiar, Expert)
- Have you ice climbed before?