Intro Ice Climbing at Kinsman Notch
- Kris Brewer (C I), Nathaniel Chu (CI)
- Trip level
- Trip date
- Saturday, January 12th, 2019
- Difficulty rating
- 1. Preferably, you have top-rope climbed in a climbing gym or outdoor crag before. 2. Some basic fitness and experience hiking in crampons, as the hill up to the crag is quite steep
We will be heading up to Kinsman Notch near Lincoln, NH to learn the basics of ice climbing! This trip will focus on proper belay technique while ice climbing and how to use all of the sharp things attached to your feet and hands to get up the ice safely.
Prior ice climbing experience is not required. Prior top-rope belay experience is highly recommended. This trip will be similar to the awesome Frankenstein trip but likely a bit more difficult in nature because of the ice.
We will depart from Boston on Sat morning and aim to be at the parking lot around 8am. We will climb until the sun goes down and return to town!
Ice climbing is super fun, despite all of the pointy gear you have to wear!!! In addition to what you would take on a hike in the winter you will need some extra fun stuff. Most of the following gear can be rented from MITOC.
- Eye Protection *
- Two-Pairs of Gloves *
- Mountaineering Boots
- Technical Crampons
- Belay Device
* Denotes gear not available through MITOC that you must provide on your own.
- Trip Fee: $20 (This includes all gear items above NOT marked with an asterisk)
- Cash and venmo for your driver (cash is dead people)
- Cost of your meals and snacks
- first-come, first-serve
- Maximum participants
- Signups opened at
- Jan. 10, 2019, 12:30 p.m.
- Signups closed at
- Jan. 10, 2019, 5 p.m.
- Do you have any dietary restrictions? 2. Why not? Climate change is real; down with beef and dairy! 1. Ahem, have you ice-climbed before? 2. Have you rock climbed before? 3. What flavor of popsicle would you most like to ice-climb on?