Mt. Garfield Slog-stravaganza
- Alex Garcia (C coI), John Walk (A coC coI)
- Trip level
- Trip date
- Saturday, January 12th, 2019
- Difficulty rating
- Considerable winter hiking experience and fitness
Join us for a long and cold day hiking the out-and-back Garfield Trail up to the summit of Mount Garfield. We'll be practicing layering in very cold weather, the use of snowshoes and light traction, as well as eating on the go and taking efficient breaks.
This will be a long hike! The total distance of this trip is 12.5 miles with an elevation gain of over 3000 ft so you should be an experienced winter hiker with several long hikes under your belt.
We are expecting a mix of packed snow, unpacked powder, and patches of ice. Most likely we will need snow shoes and microspikes.
Conditions on Saturday look cold but pleasant. Lows under 0 F and highs around 10 F. Wind speeds are forecasted to be low.
- first-come, first-serve
- Maximum participants
- Signups opened at
- Jan. 9, 2019, noon
- Signups closed at
- Jan. 10, 2019, 11:59 p.m.
- Describe your winter hiking experience.
- About how many winter hikes above 10 miles have you done? How about in the other seasons?
- What are the coldest temps you've hiked in and how did it go?
- What are your favorite foods to nibble on all day?