Fourth of July Gunkstravaganza
- Alex Garcia (Climbing Chair)
- Trip date
- Friday, June 30th
- Difficulty rating
- MITOC Membership
A trad climbing and camping weekend
The Gunks and AAC Campground
Campsite reservations will be for the afternoon of Friday June 30th - the afternoon of Tuesday July 4th.
The cost of the trip will be $24, which will cover 4 nights of camping. Participants who are not members of the Mohonk Preserve will be responsible for paying park fees ($20 day pass, $95 or $85 year membership). Participants are expected to also pay drivers for gas and any food/incidentals that you don’t bring with you.
Trad climbing with other MITOC climbers. Participants are welcome to enjoy everything else the preserve has to offer, however the focus of this trip is trad climbing. MITOC will provide the organizational energy and resources necessary to make the Gunks Trip happen, including participant registration, ride-share organization, and campsite reservations, but scheduling activities and deciding what to do on a day-to-day basis will be left to you and other participants to develop either individually or collaboratively.
- I've never climbed before, can I join?
- This might not be the best trip for you. There is quite a bit of knowledge needed in order to be a safe follower--lead belaying, rappelling, and ascending. Keep an eye out for circuses, TRSs, and mini-trips--these trips are more geared towards beginners.
- I'd like to learn how to lead trad, can I do that here?
- Mentorship and teaching are welcome on this trip, however, all mentorship and teaching should be pre-arranged by the participants. MITOC will not be providing any formal classes or teaching on this trip.
- first-come, first-serve
- Maximum participants
- Signups opened at
- June 1, 2017, 5:32 p.m.
- Signups close at
- June 28, 2017, noon
- Have you been to the Gunks before?
- Do you have a car? How many people can you take (including yourself)?
- What would you like to get out of the weekend?