- Ana Beglova, AnnaJoy Gillis, Carson Darling, David Johnson, David Lawrence, David Migl, Hariharan Rahul, Ian Martin, Jade Philipoom, James Douberley, Kathy Camenzind , Katie Fisher, Laura Treers, Maddie Burgoyne, Maia Bageant, Nathan Ricke, Osman Ahsen, Owen Andrews, Paul Weaver, Polina Binder, Rebecca Russell
- Trip date
- Saturday, April 22nd, 2017
- Difficulty rating
- All Levels
Come spend a weekend in New Hampshire hiking, climbing, eating, roasting marshmallows, enjoying the (hopefully) warm weather, and hanging out around a campfire!
What's a Circus?
Circuses are a weekend of hiking and climbing trips based out of MITOC's Camelot cabin in Groton, NH. It's a great way to meet fellow outdoorsy folks and check out the White Mountains. We will provide breakfast Saturday and Sunday, dinner Saturday, s'mores materials, gear rentals (sleeping bags, foam pads), and volunteers to lead trips on Saturday and Sunday.
I'm interested! Now what?
1. Become a MITOC member if you aren't one already. Benefits include being able to rent super-cheap gear, stay in our cabins, come on trips like this, and more. You become a member by signing a waiver and paying the annual membership fee ($15 for students, $20 for MIT affiliates, $25 for others.) You can do both here.
2. Sign up for the trip on this page before 6pm on Wednesday, April 19. Signups will be done using a random lottery, so it doesn't matter whether you sign up now or right before the deadline.
3. Show up to the pre trip meeting on Wednesday, April 19 at 6pm in the MITOC office W20-461 (or email email@example.com if you can't be there in person.) If there are more people at the meeting than we can take, we will run a lottery there at the beginning of the meeting. We'll discuss logistics, then you can rent any gear you need. If you're renting gear, please bring a checkbook to put down a security deposit. If you don't have checks, find a friend who does.
4. Pay the trip fee. The cost is $20 for MIT students, $30 for all others. It covers all gear rentals (sleeping bags, pads, climbing gear, etc.), breakfast Saturday and Sunday, dinner on Saturday, cabin upkeep, and White Mountain National Forest permits. MITOC does not profit from circus trip fees. There are no refunds, so paying is a commitment to join the trip. Don't pay your trip fee until you are guaranteed a spot!
Friday, April 21: Carpool up to the cabin. It takes about 2.5 hours to get to Camelot without traffic, so most people will leave between 6 and 7 PM. Everyone should plan to be at the cabin by 10 PM, when we meet to plan hiking trips for Saturday.
Saturday, April 22: Hiking trips in the White Mountains! Yay! Everyone will return to the cabin Saturday night, and we'll cook dinner, roast marshmallows, and plan trips for Sunday.
Sunday, April 23: Clean up the cabin in the morning. More trips. You return directly to Cambridge after your Sunday trip; return time varies depending on the length of your trip.
MITOC is not a guide service. We are an all-volunteer organization dedicated to helping the MIT community enjoy the great outdoors. Unexpected events happen. If you sign up, be prepared to be flexible!
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- first-come, first-serve
- Maximum participants
- Signups opened at
- March 31, 2017, 11:08 a.m.
- Signups closed at
- April 19, 2017, 6 p.m.
- Do you have any dietary restrictions?
- What's your MIT affiliation? (undergrad, grad student, alum, staff, other, none…)