Women / Non-Binary Climbing Trip
- Asha Park-Carter (S, T), Kathy Camenzind (S), Louisa French (she/her/hers) (S, T), Shayna Stein (S)
- Sport climbing, top rope
- Trip date
- Saturday, April 30th, 2022
- Difficulty rating
- Ability to tie in w/ a figure 8 + TR 5.9 cleanly
We will be heading up to Rumney for a day of climbing. This is an official sign up page for a beginner / intermediate friendly trip to be held on Saturday April 30.
We will be climbing 5.6s-5.10s (max / maybe) at Rumney. Emphasis will be on supporting climbers who are 1) ready to learn to lead climb or lead belay 2) and experienced TR climbers who have yet to experience real rock with an eye towards supporting them towards leading.
You should be very familiar with top rope belaying (ideally on both a gri-gri and a standard ATC device), and know how to tie yourself in using a figure-8 knot. We recommend that you are able to walk up to most 5.9s in a gym and send them cleanly, first go, without falling. Folks who can't do this yet and who only want to Top Rope--we celebrate you and encourage you to sign up for May circus instead!
If you already know how to lead climb this trip is too intro for you :) Please DO consider signing up for the open cabin instead and finding other folks to climb with via the networking spreadsheet!
A pre-trip meeting will be held in the MITOC office (W20-461) on Wed. April 27, at 7pm. First is a gear check: Beyond a harness, shoes, and chalk bag, a climbing helmet is required for all MITOC climbing trips. We will also do an overview presentation of lead climbing technique. If time and interest allow we might go over cleaning sport anchors too. (If for some reason you want to run Harvard Stadium Stairs first then come over with Asha let her know! :)
• To talk up MITOC's School of Rock program! We hope to encourage more women and non-binary folks to feel confident in applying. Applications will be available soon and likely due around early May, so this is a chance for you to get to know us, and for us to get to know you! Come on out and hangout :)
• To help us find more partners to climb with
• To encourage / mentor each other in a supportive environment
• To celebrate MITOC's diverse and growing female and NB climbing community
- first-come, first-serve
- Maximum participants
- Signups opened at
- April 7, 2022, 11:38 p.m.
- Signups closed at
- April 24, 2022, 9 p.m.
- Briefly describe your climbing experience
- What's your goals / objectives for this Rumney day trip?
- What is the perfect crag snack? Defend your opinion!