Mt. Deception - the hike to rule them all
- Florian Pagnoux (C coS), Sophie Giguere (coB)
- Winter (outside IAP)
- Trip level
- Trip date
- Sunday, February 13th, 2022
- Difficulty rating
- Winter hiking experience, good fitness, and an affinity for type two fun.
Join us on a bushwhacking adventure up the rarely experienced Mt. Deception!
This will be a challenging, exciting hike with extensive trail breaking and navigation. Some may describe it as a suffer-fest. We may wish we had eagles to carry us up at some point. But it will be fun, and filled with ring-shaped snacks to destroy at the summit.
Prerequisites: For people with previous winter hiking experience, good fitness, and an affinity for type two fun.
We will start at Bretton Woods and bushwhack up along the ridge to Little Mt. Deception and follow this line up to the two summits of Mt. Deception, and retrace our steps.
Distance: ~8 miles Elevation: ~2400 feet * Because we will be trail-breaking/bushwhacking, this will be much more tiring than a hike with equivalent stats along trails.
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday 6pm at Stratton Student Center
Note: There is a potential storm developing this weekend that might affect our ability to drive up. We may change location or cancel depending upon the weather.
Caltopo profile: https://caltopo.com/m/U77DC
- first-come, first-serve
- Maximum participants
- Signups opened at
- Jan. 26, 2022, noon
- Signups closed at
- Jan. 27, 2022, 11:59 p.m.
- Do you have any dietary restrictions?
- What is your prior experience with winter hiking? Please list previous winter hikes you've done in the past two years.
- What is your experience with bushwhacking?
- What’s a strenuous 3-season or winter hiking/backpacking trip you loved?
- What ring-shaped snack do you prefer?