The Bonds via skis
- Aileen Devlin (A coC), Kathy Camenzind (C S)
- Winter School
- Cross-country skiing
- Trip level
- Trip date
- Sunday, January 30th, 2022
- Difficulty rating
- Feel comfortable xc skiing on ungroomed terrain. Be in good shape for long hikes
This trip combines all the most exciting aspects of winter school: xc skiing just after a big snow storm, postholing up steep trails (we'll actually bring snowshoes to minimize postholing), and going above treeline on a cold and windy day.
We'll start at Lincoln Woods. Ski the relatively flat trail about 4.7miles. Switch to snowshoes (meaning we carried them while on skis) and hike up 4.4 miles to Bondcliff. If time and weather permit (the windchill forecast for Mt Bond if -30F) we'll head another 1.2 miles to Mt. Bond.
Given the trip is 18-20 miles with about 4K vert, you need to be in great shape. And given that we need to ski quickly to have time for the hiking you must have XC experience.
Given the windchill it is very important to have appropriate gear to avoid frostbite.
- first-come, first-serve
- Maximum participants
- Signups opened at
- Jan. 26, 2022, noon
- Signups closed at
- Jan. 27, 2022, 11:59 p.m.
- XC experience?
- Winter hiking experience?
- How do you avoid frostbite above treeline on windy days?
- Do you understand how the difference between goggles and glasses relates to the above?