Lonesome Lake: Boston Edition! (hockey and Dunkin')
- Dan Brooks (B coC S), James Douberley (C), Madeline Hickman (coC)
- Winter School
- Trip level
- Trip date
- Sunday, January 23rd, 2022
- Difficulty rating
- Easy / Beginner
- Have hiked before... at least once!
Come join us for a leisurely hike to Lonesome Lake! This hike will be a fun, chill intro to winter hiking and winter skills... Boston Edition! In addition to standard skills, we'll also practice Having Random Fun in the Woods, including (but not limited to):
pond hockey and ice skating on Lonesome Lake (no prior skills required)*,
a possibly obscene amount of Dunkin' Donuts goodies acquired in at least one Dunkin' on the drive up,
and sledding down the trail. :)
The trail is around 3 miles round trip, with just over 1000' feet of elevation gain. This will leave us plenty of time to walk or skate around the lake, make some hot cocoa and tea, and have a feast - bring your favorite baked good or dessert to share, or join us in our larger-than-usual Dunkin' supply run! There's also an AMC cabin at the lake, so we can take a leisurely break to warm-up halfway through the trip.
If folks are excited about practicing any winter skills, we should also have time to hang out and practice using a stove, melting water, self-arrest, layering, etc. Let us know what you're interested in practicing!
*Please Note: MITOC does not rent ice skates. If you want to ice skate but don't currently have your own skates, you'll need to either find someone to borrow a pair from or buy your own. Used ice skates can be purchased from Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist for $20 - $50. We can try to help you find someone else in winter school to borrow skates from, but can't make any guarantees. For those of us without skates, we can try a round of broomball instead!
- first-come, first-serve
- Maximum participants
- Signups opened at
- Jan. 19, 2022, noon
- Signups closed at
- Jan. 20, 2022, 11:59 p.m.
- What is your hiking experience?
- Are you renting hiking boots, or bringing your own? (If you are bringing your own, please bring/wear them to Thursday lecture and the pre-trip meeting)
- Is there any winter hiking gear you are missing that you can't rent?
- Are you planning to ice skate? If Yes, do you OWN skates, plan to BUY skates, know anyone you can BORROW from, or NEED HELP finding someone to borrow from?