Huffing it up the Hancocks
- Andrew Fasano (he/him) (B coC), Daniel S. DeLuca (B coI coS), Misha Badov (coB)
- Winter School
- Trip level
- Trip date
- Saturday, January 15th, 2022
- Difficulty rating
- Previous winter hiking experience
We’ll be hiking up the Hancocks, two of New Hampshire’s 4000-footers! This will be a physically moderate/difficult trip with a gain of ~2600’ over 8.5 miles. The trail starts out fairly flat, but gets steep towards the end. Additionally, there will be a steep descent, providing a great opportunity to work on your traction and/or butt-sledding skills.
It’s going to be very cold on Saturday (around -8 F or -22 C), so we will aim to maintain a brisk pace. The hike itself is not too strenuous, but because of the conditions, this will be a difficult trip. Good physical fitness is necessary and previous Winter hiking experience is required. Prior experience layering on cold hikes is especially important.
A mandatory pre-trip meeting will take place in-person on Thursday before the lecture. We’ll go over all necessary gear and provide an opportunity for rentals.
- first-come, first-serve
- Maximum participants
- Signups opened at
- Jan. 12, 2022, noon
- Signups closed at
- Jan. 13, 2022, 11:59 p.m.
- What is your previous Winter hiking experience?
- What’s the coldest temperature you’ve hiked in before?