Claw your way up the Wildcats
- Elena Westeinde (coB), Kathy Camenzind (C coS), Paul Lilin (B coI coS)
- Winter School
- Trip level
- Trip date
- Sunday, January 16th, 2022
- Difficulty rating
- Good physical condition, comfort in steep terrain and some familiarity with traction gear (microspikes and crampons)
We will be heading up to the Pinkham Notch area on Sunday to claw our way up the Wildcats!
This hike consists of a very steep climb up the west ridge of Wildcat D with the first section gaining 1000 ft in half a mile, so you need to be comfortable in steep terrain, as well as in good physical shape. After Wildcat D, we will continue on the ridge, tag a few more alphabetical Wildcat summits and admire the views, with a beautiful view of Mt Washington on the lookout at WIldcat E. We will go back down via the Wildcat resort ski trails (which can optionally include some excellent butt sledding).
In total we will hike around 8 miles and over 3000 ft of elevation gain. Here's a map!
- first-come, first-serve
- Maximum participants
- Signups opened at
- Jan. 12, 2022, noon
- Signups closed at
- Jan. 13, 2022, 11:59 p.m.
- What is your experience with crampons?
- What is your favorite steep trail / scramble?
- What is your spirit cat?