Oasis on the Osceolas
- Florian Pagnoux (C coS), Monika O'Shea (coB)
- Winter School
- Trip level
- Trip date
- Saturday, January 8th, 2022
- Difficulty rating
- One winter hike with experience with layering in sub-freezing temperatures is preferred. Plus experience on longer (8+ miles) 3-season hikes
Get excited to escape the bustle of the city on the Osceolas this Saturday! We will approach the twin peaks from a drive down the quintessential Kanc, hiking from the Greeley Ponds Trailhead up East Osceola and over to Mt. Osceola with snowy views from both summits. We'll then head back down the same way (7.6 miles round trip, 2500 ft elevation gain).
The winter approach from the north is rated “Intermediate/Difficult” due to the snow conditions and potential for hardier traction, namely in the steep sections north of East Osceola and between the two peaks at the Chimney which could provide good crampon practice. Also be aware Saturday will be sunny but VERY frigid after the passage of Friday's cold front, so appropriate layering for windchill to the null to negative Fahrenheit range will be necessary.
- first-come, first-serve
- Maximum participants
- Signups opened at
- Jan. 5, 2022, noon
- Signups closed at
- Jan. 6, 2022, 11:59 p.m.
- What is your prior experience with winter hiking? (Include traction experience)
- Do you have any dietary restrictions?
- What is your favorite word starting with the letter O?