Beginner Winter Hiking on Mt Willard
- Dan Brooks (B coC S), James Douberley (C)
- Winter School
- Trip level
- Trip date
- Sunday, January 9th, 2022
- Difficulty rating
- Beginner / Easy
- Have hiked before... at least once!
Never gone hiking in the snow before? Want to work out your layering system? Try lighting a camp stove?
...Join two highly experienced MITOC leaders on this excellent trip for beginners!
We’ll be hiking up Mt. Willard - a 3.2 mile round-trip hike with 900 feet of elevation gain, and magnificent views of Crawford Notch! (Great bang for your buck.)
We’ll take a relaxed wander up the mountain, taking time for everyone to work on their winter systems, practice skills, enjoy some winter photography, and ask questions. We’ll also set up camp stoves for a picnic - please bring a snack and/or hot drink to share!
Everyone will learn how to do -- and practice! -- the following:
- Layering and delayering
- Setting up and lighting a camp stove
- Peeing in the woods.... and pooping, for the more ambitious among you!
- Tape up a blister or hot spot
- … We're also happy to cover any other basic skills folks are interested in! Let us know in advance if there's something you'd like to practice.
- first-come, first-serve
- Maximum participants
- Signups opened at
- Jan. 5, 2022, noon
- Signups closed at
- Jan. 6, 2022, 11:59 p.m.
- What is your hiking experience?
- Are there any skills you want to practice?
- Are you renting boots, or bringing your own? (if you are bringing your own, please bring/wear them to Thursday lecture)
- Is there any winter gear you're missing that you can't rent?
- What are you bringing to the picnic? :)