Winter School Leader Training
- Asha Park-Carter, Florian Pagnoux
- Trip date
- Saturday, December 4th, 2021
- Difficulty rating
- Stoke for Winter School!
The training is mandatory for new WS leaders and highly encouraged for returning leaders. The training runs from 8:45 AM to 5:30 PM at the MIT Campus. Please meet us at 8:45 AM in 3-270 (MIT Building 3, room 270).
In order to attend, you must register for a TIM ticket in advance. Signup here.
MIT students/COVIDpass users - you will be scanned in upon arrival (your barcode is in atlas)
nonMIT folks: please register via the link in advance ("visitor"). Two students will be at the main entrance at 77 Mass Ave 8:30-8:45am to help you get into the building if you have any issues.
At the training, you will have the opportunity to get to know other leaders, gain group management skills, get experience with MITOC leader gear, start planning trips, and learn how MITOC leaders make winter school trips successful and safe. Coffee, lunch and snacks will be provided. Please bring a water bottle and dress for being outside.
Saturday Dec 4th Training Schedule:
- 8:30 - 8:45 - Arrival & Attendance - Plan to be here by 8:45
- 9:00 - 9:10: Welcome remarks -
- 9:10 - 9:15: Icebreakers
- 9:15 - 10:15: Winter Safety
- 10:15 -10:30: Snacks/Break
- 10:30 - 11:15: WS Logistics and Trip Planning
- 11:15 - 11:25: Representing MITOC
- 11:25 - 11:35: Camelot
- 11:35 - 11:45: Intervale
- 11:45 - 12:30: Lunch & Mentee/Mentor Meetup
- 12:30 - 02:15 Gear Stations - Traction, Tents, Emergency Shelters, Stoves, First Aid Kits
- 2:15 - 2:30 - Snacks/Break
- 2:30 - 3:00 - Hypothermia and Cold Weather Health Issues
- 3:00 - 3:45: Planning and Leading Successful Trips - mini presentations
- 3:45 - 3:55: Reimbursements
- 3:55 - 4:05 - Break
- 4:05 - 5:10 - Trip Scenarios
- 5:10 - 5:30 - Trip Scenarios Debrief
~ After 5:30pm - Possible dinner hangouts TBD
In preparation for the Leaders Retreat we will be hosting a First Aid Kit Resupply party on Thursday Dec. 3rd. We would love to have your help and support with this. Please check the trips page to signup there.
We also intend to host a WS Leader 2022 socializing event on Thursday December 9th, 2021. We will announce more details soon.
Finally, we want to put the upcoming Desk Worker Trainings on your radar taking place on November 18. Please check the trips page to signup there. It's very helpful as a winter school leader to be able to help your participants check out and return gear during office hours. We highly encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity, since it will make your life much easier during pre-trip meetings!
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.
- first-come, first-serve
- Maximum participants
- Signups opened at
- Nov. 16, 2021, 7:05 p.m.
- Signups closed at
- Dec. 4, 2021, 8:30 a.m.
How much stoke do you have for WS 2022?! Hyperbole encouraged ;)