SoR TRS 1 – Sport & Trad: Basic Knots, Belaying, and Basic Gear
- Aileen Devlin (S), Alejandro Garcia (B, TR, S, T, MP, A), Annie Hines (B, TR, S, T, MP, A), Chris Saulnier (B, TR, S,T, MP, A), Cole Crawford (B, TR, S, T, MP, A), Evan Williams (S), Florian Pagnoux (S), James Hermus (B,TR,S,T,MP), Mason Glidden (B, TR, S, T, MP, A), Nicolas Romeo (B, S), Noah Luther (S,B)
- School of Rock
- Trip date
- Tuesday, September 28th, 2021
- Difficulty rating
- SoR Sport or Trad Track
- Accepted to SoR Sport or Trad Track
Welcome everyone to your first TRS of the MITOC School of Rock! In this session, we'll be going through some essential materials & skills that you'll need going into your first round of weekend trips.
- Sport track will practice basic lead belaying
- Trad track will work on more advanced skills like leading/belaying on double ropes
We'll focus on broadly applicable gear and materials - carabiners, nylon vs. dyneema materials, etc - with track-specific gear covered separately.
We'll cover the essential knots that you'll encounter during MRP, including tying in/creating a loop, joining lines, connecting to anchors, rigging with slings, and safety situations. We'll also discuss some of the "how" and "why" of knots, and why we choose the knots we do for climbing.
Where & When
- locking carabiners
- double-length sling
- prussik cord
- first-come, first-serve
- Maximum participants
- Signups opened at
- Sept. 9, 2021, 7:26 p.m.
- Signups closed at
- Sept. 18, 2021, 9 a.m.
(1) which track of SOR are you on?
(2) any knots, techniques, or situations you're particularly curious about?